Tuesday, June 23, 2015

28mm Fencing Tutorial

Part 2 of the 3 part terrain Day Tutorial is here. As always, I strive to get the best results I can with limited spending and easy to follow construction. This section is on fences. Every period ever (just about) should have fences. They are freaking everywhere. As always, commercial fencing can be expensive. For those willing to put in a small amount of time and effort (while still saving a buck) check this out.

Materials:

Sprue Cutters - You already own these, so they won't factor into the price. However, if you don't own any sprue cutters, you probably misclicked onto my blog (sorry bout' that)

Skinny Sticks - These are bought at Wal Mart in a pack of 75 for $2.50. They are basically 6" long by 4mm wide sticks with flat ends. For those with no Wal Mart or UK gamers, you should be able to find something comparable easily enough and cheaply enough. I used about 1 1/2 bags for this, so let's say 5 bucks.

XL Popsicle Sticks - Labeled "Jumbo Craft Sticks" at Walmart, they come in a pack of 75 and are just really wide Popsicle sticks. 6' long by 1" wide. $2.50 per bag.

Square Dowels - I grabbed these at Michael's in 36" lengths for 50 cents a pop. I bought 3. they will serve as fence posts.

Clump Foliage - You probably already have this, but if you dont it's around 4 bucks for a 10 oz shaker online.

That's it. The total is $13. I made roughly 30 feet of fencing in 6" lengths with that money. Here's how:

Step 1: Cut out your fence posts. I cut mine in 1" lengths. For those not so math savvy, that's 108 fence posts.


Step 2: Glue these fence posts to your XL Popsicle Stick bases. I did one on each extreme end, and I used 4 for each fence section with a gate.


Step 3: Glue your skinny stick to the fence posts. I used two skinny sticks for each fence section. i did some crooked, some broken, some straight, and some bowed just for variety. A little dab of glue will do it, it doesn't take much. Give them time to dry before moving to step 4.


Step 4: Paint all the fences brown. Because I am lazy, I used a can of cheap brown spray paint I had hanging around. I forgot to take a pic here but it's pretty self explanatory.

Step 5: Flock the bases and add clump foliage once the flock dries. Yep, it's that simple. I went a little heavy with the clump foliage because A.] I like it and B.] these fences will line my roads and the heavy clumps will contrast the small clumps I used on the roads. Here's some pics of the end result:





There you have it Gamers! Roughly 30 feet of simple multi period fencing for $13. Here's how much I got:



As always if you have any questions/comments drop me a line here or on TMP and I will promptly respond.
Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment